Sunday, November 25, 2007

Bits and pieces

1. I found a great recipe website: All Recipes. The recipes can be printed in multiple formats, you can modify the number of servings and it automatically resets the ingredient amounts for the number of servings you want. If you create an account, you can save recipes to your recipe box, print out ingredients, all kinds of things!

2. Great, simple pizza/focaccia type recipe:

Mix 2 1/2 tsps of active dry yeast with 1 cup warm water till dissolved.
Add 1 tbsp of oil and 2 1/2 cups flour and mix till it forms a ball.
Let rise on oven while you heat it up for about 15 minutes.
Set oven to about 400 degrees.
Slice peppers (I used red, yellow and orange) thinly, and tomatoes in about 1/4 inch thick slices.
Sprinkle pizza stone with cormeal, and roll the dough out on the stone.
Brush dough with olive oil.
Sprinkle with kosher salt (or sea salt), fresh cracked pepper, and italian seasoning (I think a mix of rosemary, thyme, basil, oregano?).
Lay tomatoes and peppers out on the dough.
(Optional) sprinkle with feta cheese.
Bake for about 15 minutes in the oven. I check it and turn it at 10 minutes, then watch it closely till it's done.
Grill in oven for the last 1-2 minutes.
Slice and serve...would make a good appetizer I think.

3. I'm going through IKEA withdrawal...I'm in serious need of a trip. When I told M. this, she said "What do you need?" I said "Well...a door mat....umm...a dish rack...and you know." She said "And you can't get a door mat anywhere in Victoria?" So, maybe I don't NEED much from Ikea, but I think it's more the Ikea shopping experience I need. I've also added to that list of things I need from Ikea: Throw pillows, maybe art for above our couch, candles and a few Christmas decorations, a new duvet cover....hmm. All these are things I know I can get cheaply at Ikea. I'm sure I CAN get them elsewhere, but I KNOW I can get them cheaply there ;-).

4. D. is away for work again this upcoming week. I'm going to try to make the best of it and get caught up and ahead (hopefully) on work and school things. I get a stack of marking on Friday, so I'll need to be caught up on everything else before then.

5. I'm hoping, once again to get back on the health bandwagon this week. Still running out of time in the day...eating not enough veggies and fruit, and too much junk, and not making enough time for exercise, sleep, and other non-work and school related things.

6. I know it's that time of year, but I'm just tired. Not physically, but mentally (mostly). I'm finding I'm in one of those phases I go through (and I'm sure everyone does) periodically where it's just tiring thinking about another week starting, when often the previous one hasn't ended...and because I'm tired, I'm constantly feeling like I'm doing the bare minimum to get by in all areas of my life, and thus doubting whether I can really keep up with this job and line of work I've chosen. Like I said though, this is a phase...I know it is, we all go through them and it will pass. Just tired though right now.

3 comments:

Coramie said...

Aw Hon.....
Thinking about you always....

Sarah said...

UBC is thinking about you, too! I know... what you just wrote brought me close to tears, because I know.
But, like you said, it will pass; the festive season fun will kick in, and the busy-ness will stop wearing on you and be fun again, too, I'm sure.

Speaking of the big Ho Ho Ho, will you guys be in town over the holidays? Up for a stiff rum and eggnog at my place? (You know, or wine or tequila)

Magnificent M said...

ahhh #6... I am living that myself. there has to be an easier way right?

the pizza sounds goooooood. i like the sound of that website too!